One question: 5/17-5/18

I was up in VT this past weekend doing various things and wanted to answer one question about the coupe: Is the engine Seized. The answer to this questions would determine much of the coming direction of the project.

It was later Saturday when I had time to start tearing apart the Coupe’s front end. I started with a couple mangled trim pieces and worked towards the shattered headlights and then down around the cracked bumper.

Image

and after all the much of the digging…

Image

Looking closer at the front sub-frame, it looks like the car may have been involved in a front end accident? hmmm… And of course, here’s a great shot of the disintegrating auxiliary radiator. I’ll be taking this out and running without it and A/C.

Image

Before I tried to wrench the engine over, I pulled all the plugs and inspected them. Mostly just heavily carbon covered – these will be replaced before attempting to start. Here’s a shot of one:

Image

With the spark plugs pulled, and access to the crank nut. It was time to put a wrench to it and see what happens. I quickly discovered that I did not have a large enough metric socket to fit this thing. Glad a 1-1/16″ fit perfectly; after a quick conversion looks like it is it a 27 mm.

With a big ratchet attached, nothing seemed to want to move. Both directions… nothing. A seize engine was starting to seem like a real possibility. It was getting late in the evening at this point so I called it a night and started to wonder if I’d be going to a Turbo 3A/AAN application much quicker than expected. Before calling it a night however, I took some PB Blaster and gave a decent spray into each cylinder.

The next day, I put a wrench on it again and with a few a good pulls, it all broke free. Before going any further, I took some fresh motor oil and put a cap full in each cylinder. I then cranked it over a few times but it seemed to be quite difficult still (about 100 ft*lbs)… then I realized something:

Image

… the car was still gear. Ooops…

So with the car in neutral, it took about 50 ft*lbs to turn the crank. I noticed that the alternator wasn’t turning and the belt was slipping around the crank pulley. So with a few good taps and hard pulls on the alternator bolt, that was free too. It sounded like death as the bearing broke loose and churned away among the corrosion of 5 years of non-use. I’ll be keeping an alternator on my short-list.

With that, I was happy with the progress made and the information gathered. the original 7a nestled in the coupe may live to see another running day after all.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s