The colors of Autumn – Gasoline Yellow and Rusty Red

I left for Vermont on Saturday morning taking a path through New Hampshire to meet another Audi Enthusiast who had a parts car. So glad this worked out because I forgot to source a banjo end of the fuel line that needed work. I grabbed that fuel end and a coolant hose I suspect will fail and continued on my journey – sorry no pics.

I didn’t get to VT until almost dark and knew I had to do at least one thing before the night closed in. In an attempt to save the starter assembly and the time and effort of replacing it, I planned on using a cold silver solder to adhere a new tab onto the contact of the starter solenoid – ghetto? Yes, but cheap and easy? Definitely.

Solder: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EPYCIGQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

With barely any light left, I finished up a sloppy job and let it sit overnight. Luckily for me, the temperatures were very mild for VT in the Fall and the cure time was listed right around 24 hours.

IMG_3336

The next morning I got an early start knowing I needed to be back in MA for work Monday morning. I started with the banjo bolt and fuel line assembly on the Driver’s side of the car. Out came the original using a pipe cutter – such a great cheap tool to have kicking around. You can see the exit of the fuel filter and the fuel line above it that it would be connecting to.

IMG_3339A quick brush of the fuel line and some WD to slide the flexible line on easily. Oh – and many hose clamps. This is one of the parts I picked up the day before. It definitely looks used but testing the system later showed that it was holding pressure fine.

IMG_3341

On to the other fuel leak that was along the Passenger side floor. I popped the clip and pulled the rubber mount off the line so you can see what is happening.

IMG_3343

As you can see, although the mount is pretty straight forward and secure, the rubber mount is collecting dirt and salt from the road and holding it against the steel fuel line allowing corrosion to disintegrate the line. This spot was also a bit troublesome because there was no way to get a pipe cutter around the line and get a nice easy cut of the line without breaking the other parts of the line which looked a bit questionable. So armed with a small hacksaw and Dikes, I got the bad piece out and then had to repair the end using a screw driver and some files.

IMG_3345

It was right about here that things were going too well and when I reached for the fuel line to cut off a piece for this fix, I actually read the spec on the hose and read: “Not for fuel injection Systems” …Oops. I check the spec of the line which was rated only for 50 PSI, and using the Bentley manual I found the Systems runs at about 55-62 PSI. Now I understand engineering safety factors but with gas, I knew I had to get the right line. An hours trip to the nearest parts store got me 225PSI rated line. So after re-doing the fuel filter side, I finally got to this point – a quick, easy, temporary fix:

IMG_3348

So I hastily decided to Flush and Prime the system with hopes of attempting to finally start the car. I stuffed the fuel line in a bottle and shorted the fuel pump line. Happily what came out actually looked like fuel and only had some rusty pieces in the bottom. Unfortunately, when I looked under the car, I saw another fuel leak.

IMG_3350So I decided to try and get some good news. I poked at the Silver solder on the starter solenoid and decided it was set enough to mount the signal wire and attempt to crank the motor over. I popped the spark plugs out to avoid draining my battery due to compression. Armed with the key… I got… Noises! I’ve never actually heard one of these cars run or start or anything so I had another pair of eyes confirm rotation and not that the starter was just spinning freely or something. I even got almost 1 Bar of oil pressure – success!

This definitely gave me some motivation to give the fuel lines one more attempt. While under the car though hacking away at the new leak, I looked a little further down the line and found this…

IMG_3357

But in one last desperate attempt to start the car that day, I made up this using a comical hack of whatever I had left:

IMG_3359 Which, on another attempt to flush and prime, resulted in…

IMG_3363

Yet another fuel leak further down the line. This was it for the day for sure.

Here’s a closer look at the culprits to the difficult day:

IMG_3367

So the cat got towed back to the meadow once again, awaiting new fuel lines and some more motivation:

IMG_3366

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s