Seattle Prep Pt. 1

At the beginning of July, I moved out to Seattle and I knew all along I would be taking the CQ project with me, the challenge became getting it to a decent state before the trailer arrived to haul it out. This post is obviously coming many months late so to get caught up, I’ll keep it picture heavy and short on description.

First off, I’ll show the finished product of the rocker panel project, I’m pleased. We’ll see how it holds up:

I really battled the steering rack. I wanted to take it out to get to some of the chassis seams behind it but I wasn’t expecting a bolt to get stuck in the through hole of the rack…



But that’s OK, at this point, there are very few bolts on this car I haven’t touched. Time for some shiny parts – new lightweight flywheel and Stage 2E Southbend clutch.

Everyone knows the Hitachi injectors these cars came with were junk, so time to get those out and replaced with some more modern Bosch injectors. Better spray pattern/atomization means a more effecient burn, getting more bang for the same fuel input:

Knock Sensors. I didn’t know if they were bad or not but I was encouraged to update them while I was in there so here’s a shot of the old style (left) and the new (right):


I somehow convinced myself that wrapping my exhaust header wouldn’t be all that bad and a worthwhile experience, and really it was a horrible, itchy and not fun in the slightest, but here are the pictures of it anyway:

And to be honest, it does look pretty mean on the engine:


I decided to take the fuel lines inside the car for protection and used some weld nuts to keep the mounting points simple and to one-sided access:


Engine and Trans mated up:


I went for an aftermarket fuel filter and decided to mount it in the engine bay for easy access. Here are a few shots of that with the fuel lines going up to it:

Here’s a shot of the front end brake lines in. Notice these are all flexible lines, steel fittings, AN standard:


Part of prepping the car for transport was sealing up all the open access points. This started with the climate control intake. Steel plate, bolted down with buytl tape used to seal:


I needed to create a cover for the spot where the fuel used to come through the floor bottom of the car from the fuel tank. This is now an access hole as the lines take a quick turn back into the car. So I made up a domed structure so that if there are any fuel leaks, they will drip down instead of pooling. I also added a fitting so that i could zip tie a little hose on here to make it easier to see if it’s leaking:

The brake calipers needed a lot, and I mean a lot, of love. So I decided to let the professionals take care of this one. I had heard great things about King Kalipers and they made short work of the job – really impressed with their work:

Then came the start of the wiring, and I say this because as I write this, I’m still working on the wiring. The main concern was to get the main harnesses through the firewall, plug the extra holes, and tuck the rest away neatly for transport:

When I got the car, the driver’s window was being held up by a couple blocks of wood, so I had to get a new(er) regulator in there to seal up that area of the car:


And that brings me up to July when Lexa and I moved ourselves out to Seattle. The CQ stayed behind with the BRZ until I could organize transportation. I would end up coming back for 10 days and work like hell to actually get it ready and clean out the garage – no small task I would find out.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s